GoHenry is a London and New York-based fintech company that pioneered the youth fintech and financial education category. We are on a mission to make every kid smart with money and to delight our community of 2 million parents, kids, and teens with innovative, market-leading tools to help parents raise financially healthy kids.
GoHenry offers a debit card and app for kids and teens and companion apps for the family, with in-app tools for sending money, automating allowance, managing chores, setting savings goals, giving to charity, and in-app financial education lessons where kids can watch videos, take quizzes and earn points & badges. This is all designed to help kids and teens build good money habits that will last a lifetime.
Where this role fits in
We are looking for an experienced and self-driven Data Engineer to work in our central Data team, a group of ~10 data analysts, data engineers and analytics engineers. The role will report into the Core Data Lead.
The team is currently building a brand new data platform on Google Cloud to ingest raw data from a variety of internal and external source systems, transform the data so it aligns to GoHenry’s analytic needs, and make the data available to data analysts, business users and downstream systems. You will be working with a wide variety of data such as card transactions, advertising activity, user interactions with GoHenry’s ‘Money Missions’ etc. Some time will also be spent maintaining our legacy data infrastructure and eventually assisting with decommissioning activities.
This role has responsibilities spanning both the Ingestion and Data Warehouse layers of the data platform. We follow an ‘Extract, Load, Transform (ELT)’ approach at GoHenry, and the Data Engineer will be responsible for the end-to-end ELT process. The key technologies used in this role are Datastream, Dataflow, Cloud Storage, Cloud Functions, Pub/Sub, BigQuery, Dataform, Dataplex, Data Catalog, DLP, Airflow, git, Python and SQL.
Key responsibilities include:
- Designing, building, testing, deploying and monitoring data pipelines, covering both the initial ingestion from source systems, as well as data transformation within the warehouse.
- Designing and building data models in the data warehouse, carefully considering the analytical needs of users.
- Helping data analysts to get the most out of the warehouse, advising them on query tuning techniques.
- Keeping our documentation, data catalogue and data lineage tools up-to-date.
- Performing regular proactive maintenance and housekeeping on the data platform.
- Working with colleagues from other teams to monitor and improve data quality within the warehouse.
- Responding to incidents arising from data pipeline failures.
- Sharing knowledge with other team members, and playing an active role in the Data team and wider Tech team.
- Other activities that may be required from time to time.
What we’re looking for
- Experience in building and maintaining data pipelines.
- Data modelling experience.
- An understanding of data warehousing concepts and best practices.
- Experience using a data transformation tool such as Dataform or dbt.
- Ability to write advanced SQL queries in a data warehouse environment.
- Ability to write Python to a very good level.
- Experience building a modern cloud data platform, ideally using Google Cloud.
- Good working knowledge of BigQuery, particularly complex field types and optimisation techniques.
- Experience using Airflow.
As a person, you are a self-starter who is motivated to kick start their own projects, welcomes challenges, seeks feedback from others, asks “how can I help” and then “how can we make this better”, shows perseverance on long-term goals, and generally goes above and beyond in their work.
What we’re offering
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- An additional day off on your birthday (or any other day in the same week)
- Flexible Public Holidays
- Family-friendly leave policies
- Death in service – 4x your annual salary from month 1
- Enhanced Maternity & Paternity Leave.
- Westfield Cash Health Plan (for you and your children)
- Westfield surgery plan after 3 years’ service
- Westfield Rewards (receive discounts at over 600 retailers)
- Mental health platform – Open up
- Cycle to work scheme
- Training opportunities to further develop your craft
- Choose your own equipment
We’re proud to say...
- We help over two million members improve their money skills every single day.
- We’re one of Tech Track’s top 50 fastest growing UK companies.
- We were nominated for ‘Best Personal Finance App’ at the British Bank Awards 2020.
- We were voted 'Best Children's Financial Provider' at the British Bank Awards 2021.
- Our kids and parents have donated over £200,000 of their own money to NSPCC via their GoHenry accounts
- We won the Kids' Cards category of Finder's Customer Satisfaction Awards 2022
But we’re still growing, and that’s why we need you.
GoHenry is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re on a mission to foster a diverse & inclusive workplace. Individuals seeking employment at GoHenry are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Want to join our mission?
If GoHenry sounds like a place you’d like to be, please apply using the link below.