Telescope Network Systems Administrator
What You’ll Do:
As a Telescope Network Systems Administrator, you will support Slingshot’s Space Surveillance and Tracking initiatives by playing a key role in the reliable and efficient operation of Slingshot’s global telescope network, supporting Slingshot’s efforts to make space safe, secure, and sustainable.
- Executes all position responsibilities in alignment with Slingshot’s core values, mission, and purpose
- Contribute to the direction of a small team with your expertise and ideas
- Manage telescope network IT infrastructure, including Windows PCs, Virtualized hosts, observatory control software, and Linux servers
- Deploy additional system recovery processes and ensure that the recovery process documentation is defined and up-to-date for each system
- Help monitor the security of critical telescope network components, e.g., by monitoring system logs and intrusion detection system logs, and defining alerting rules and implementing these rules in log server automation scripts
- Implement security compliance policies, including applying patches and fixes, and updating vulnerability and virus detection software
- Develop, improve, and maintain the effectiveness and efficiency of Slingshot’s global telescope network, by defining, delivering, and supporting strategic plans for its successful operation
- Develop and deploy innovative tools to improve monitoring of the health of remote telescope observatory sites, including sensor health, site network health, and sensor control hardware/software health
- Develop and deploy automated tools to improve monitoring of critical telescope network computing system resources, including CPU capacities, disk capacities, operational Linux and Windows processes, network activity, etc.
- Determine and implement resolutions to critical telescope network issues
- Perform other duties as assigned (to be less than 10% of the responsibilities listed above)
- Must be a U.S. citizen eligible for government clearances
- B.S or M.S in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field.
- 2+ years of experience in troubleshooting and support for Windows and Linux systems
- 1+ years experience in cyber security/system health and tools such as Crowdstrike and Tenable.io.
- 1+ years of experience with Virtual Machines and their tools such as Hyper-V Manager.
- Proficiency with Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Customer-success-driven, hands-on, action-oriented, positive personality.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time (20% if not based in Fort Collins, CO).
- Experience with network design and operations, including Cisco and Juniper equipment.
- Experience with network security, including firewalls, IPS, and IDS systems.
- Experience with Cloud (AWS, Office 365) and virtualization (XenServer, ESXi) technologies.
- Experience and proficiency working within a start-up environment.
- Current or in-scope DoD (or USIC / DoE) security clearance.
- Experience or a keen interest in learning about various Linux packages and databases (e.g., Ceph, Solr, Mongo).
- Experience with developing scripts and applications in at least one of the following: Bash shell, Ansible, Terraform.
- Experience or a keen interest in learning about telescope hardware and software systems.
- Experience in computer networking and remote connectivity.
*These skills are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. You don’t have to meet every qualification listed- if your skills are transferable and you meet the minimum requirements, we encourage you to apply.
Salary Range: $75,000-$95,000
Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA (Preferred) or Hybrid
Classification: Full time Exempt (list exemption)
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion are key to our success. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and our employees are people with different strengths, experiences and backgrounds, who share a passion for creating a safer, more connected world. Diversity not only includes race and gender identity, but also age, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, religion and many other parts of one’s identity. All of our employee’s points of view are key to our success, and we embrace individuality.