Clinical Coding Dispute Nurse Reviewer
At Zelis, the Clinical Coding Dispute Nurse Reviewer role is responsible for the resolution of facility and provider disputes as they relate to the itemized bill review, clinical claim review and DRG validation offerings within Hospital Bill Review. They will be responsible for reviewing facility inpatient and outpatient claims for Health Plans and TPA’s to ensure adherence to proper coding and billing guidelines as it relates to the Itemized Bill Review product, analyzing inpatient DRG claims based on industry standard inpatient coding guidelines, and supporting the Office of the Chief Medical Officer in managing disputes related to clinical claim reviews.
This position will also be responsible for being a resource for the entire organization regarding IBR, DRG, and CCR claims. This is a production-based role with production and quality metric goals.
- Review provider disputes for DRG Coding and Clinical Validation (MS and APR), Itemized Bill Review (IBR) and Clinical Chart Review (CCR) and submit explanation of dispute rationale back to providers based on dispute findings within the designated timeframe to ensure client turnaround times are met.
- Accountable for daily management of claim dispute volume, adhering to client turnaround time, and department Standard Operating Procedures
- Serve as subject matter expert for the Hospital Bill Review Team on day-to-day activities including troubleshooting and review for data accuracy.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for content and bill reviews and provide support where needed for inquiries and research requests.
- Create and present education to Bill Review Teams and other departments dispute findings.
- Research and analysis of content for bill review.
- Use of strong coding and industry knowledge to create and maintain bill review content, including but not limited to DRG Reviewer Rationales, DRG Clinical Validation Policies, CCR Review Guidelines and Templates, and Dispute Rationales
- Perform regulatory research from multiple sources to keep abreast of compliance enhancements and additional bill review opportunities.
- Support for client facing teams as needed relating to client inquiries related to provider disputes.
- Utilize the most up-to-date approved Zelis medical coding sources for bill review maintenance.
- Communicate and partner with CMO and members of Bill Review Product and Operations teams regarding important issues and trends.
- Current, active CIC, CPC , CCS or equivalent credentialing required.
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred in business, healthcare, or technology preferred.
- RN, LPN with coding certification, or certified coder, or registered health information technician (RHIA/RHIT) with at least 5+ years of experience.
- Experience with MS-DRG/APR-DRG preferred.
- Experience performing regulatory research from multiple sources, formulating an opinion, and presenting findings in an organized, concise manner.
- Background and/or understanding of the healthcare industry.
- Knowledge of National Medicare and Medicaid regulations.
- Knowledge of payer reimbursement policies.
- Creative problem-solving skills, leveraging insights and input from other parts of an organization.
- Consistently demonstrate ability to act and react swiftly to continuous challenges and changes.
- Excellent analytical skills with data and analytics related solutions.
- Excellent communication skills.
As a leading payments company in healthcare, we guide, price, explain, and pay for care on behalf of insurers and their members. We’re Zelis in our pursuit to align the interests of payers, providers, and consumers to deliver a better financial experience and more affordable, transparent care for all. We partner with more than 700 payers, including the top-5 national health plans, BCBS insurers, regional health plans, TPAs and self-insured employers, over 4 million providers, and 100 million members, enabling the healthcare industry to pay for care, with care. Zelis brings adaptive technology, a deeply ingrained service culture, and a comprehensive navigation through adjudication and payment platform to manage the complete payment process.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
At Zelis, we champion diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in all aspects of our operations. We embrace the power of diversity and create an environment where people can bring their authentic and best selves to work. We know that a sense of belonging is key not only to your success at Zelis, but also to your ability to bring your best each day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Zelis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, even if you do not believe you 100% fit the qualifications of the position, including women, LGBTQIA people, people of color, and people with disabilities.
We are dedicated to ensuring our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and require a reasonable accommodation with any part of the application and/or interview process, please email TalentAcquisition@zelis.com
SCAM ALERT: There is an active nationwide employment scam which is now using Zelis to garner personal information or financial scams. This site is secure, and any applications made here are with our legitimate partner. If you’re contacted by a Zelis Recruiter, please ensure whomever is contacting you truly represents Zelis Healthcare. We will never asked for the exchange of any money or credit card details during the recruitment process. Please be aware of any suspicious email activity from people who could be pretending to be recruiters or senior professionals at Zelis.